12 October 2011

AIDS Walk Los Angeles

Hi Everyone!  I know this is supposed to be my nail polish/beauty blog, but all this week I have been focused on a very non-nail polish subject that is important me, and since this is my blog, darn it, I figure I may just try to use it for some good!

Here are some interesting facts to think about:

  •  There is a new HIV infection every nine minutes in the United States.  In the time it took me to draft this blog post, 4 more people were infected.
  • In 2006, the rate of new HIV infection for black women was nearly 15 times as high as that of white women and nearly 4 times that of Hispanic/Latina women. 
  • 25% of those infected with HIV don’t even know it.
  • In the 28 years since we first learned to diagnose HIV/AIDS, there is still no national plan to fight the epidemic.

These sobering statistics are just a few of the reasons why I am participating in AIDS Walk LA this Sunday, October 16.  While HIV/AIDS awareness does not garner nearly the amount of attention it did in the 80s and 90s in the public media, it’s still an epidemic, education is still an issue as the numbers of new cases reported each year are astounding, and we are still without a cure.
If you have $1, $5, or $10 to spare, then I would love it if you would consider making a donation to AIDS Walk LA through my fundraising page.

Donations to AIDS Walk LA primarily go to AIDS Project LA (APLA), which provides urgently needed food, dental care, safe housing, and much more to people with HIV/AIDS who also face poverty, hunger, and homelessness. APLA also runs the county’s largest network of community education and HIV prevention programs to end the epidemic in Los Angeles.  If you’re not familiar with the amazing work the men and women at APLA do, please check out information here and here.
Thanks for taking the time to read through my babbling!  I will now return you to your regularly scheduled polishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment